I recently read some words of advise. Some of it was bogus, but what I am presenting here is some food for thought, inspired by what I read.
- Tip from the Martial Arts: The elbow is the one of strongest points on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do! (If you need practice, let’s get together and practice.)
- If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse,
DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM.
Toss it away from you (over his head, or off to his side)… Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse.
RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION! (Run in a zig-zag manor)
- If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. (I have seen it reported on the evening news that this actually has happened.)
- People have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit there (listening to the radio, updating their smartphone app, answering the phone, etc.)
DON’T DO THIS!
(I am guilty of this. Lately I find myself updating my car app, or checking email, or my calendar, etc.)
A predator may be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.
AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR , LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE..
If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF.
Instead drive at high speed and crash into something, anything. It will wreck the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
- A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
A.) Be aware:look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, check the van to see if there is someone in it near your side. It there is, be aware that something “Could” happen. Some serial killers have attacked their victims by pulling them into their vans.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side.. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
- ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT! (Even in the daytime… several months ago, a female City of Tampa employee was sexually assaulted in a stairwell of the Ft. Brooke Parking Garage)
- If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN!
The attacker frequently will not shoot. If they do, only about 6% of the time will you be hit. If you are hit, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. For each 10 feet of distance, the chance of you being hit are cut in half. So, RUN, Preferably in a zig-zag pattern! When you do, the chance of you being hit drops toward zero so fast, it’s crazy to not run.
- Frequently women try to be sympathetic: STOP It may get you raped, or killed.
Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, or wore a phony cast on his arm, and often asked ‘for help’ into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
If you hear that still small voice telling you that something is not right… guess what… something is not right! Feeling foolish is to be preferred to being harmed.
Stay alert, keep safe, and look out for your neighbors!